Inbox vs. Mailbox: Choosing the Right Direct Marketing Campaign
When it comes to direct marketing, not all campaigns are created equal. Email, postal, and telemarketing campaigns can all be valuable tools for marketers, but how do you know what type of campaign is best for your company?
For over 100 years, WS Ponton has been the premier supplier of direct marketing lists and list broker services for the affluent markets, and we have gathered unique insight into the best direct marketing campaigns for various affluent brands. When it’s time to decide what kind of direct marketing campaign will be most effective for your company, there are a number of factors to consider:
- Income Level: Affluent individuals ($100,000+ annual income) appear to be more interested in direct mail campaigns than e-mail campaigns. Lower income audiences, on the other hand, are more receptive to e-mail campaigns.
- Age Demographic: Younger consumers are far more receptive to e-mail campaigns than older generations.
- Call to Action: When you’re deciding the best way to reach your target audience, bear in mind what you are asking of them. For surveys, informational campaigns, and public awareness campaigns, e-mail marketing is convenient and effective. If you are seeking substantial donations, investments, or purchases, however, many consumers are wary of conducting significant financial transactions online.
- Geographic Location: Consumers on the East Coast are best targeted with direct mail campaigns, while the West Coast gravitates towards e-mail marketing.
- Price Point: When a political candidate is seeking $10 donations, an e-mail campaign presents a quick, convenient opportunity for interested recipients to offer their support with a few clicks. However if you are seeking guests for a $20,000-per-plate political fundraiser, even young, tech-savvy consumers prefer to be reached by mail. Offers with a high price point are best marketed to consumers with a tradition direct mail campaign.
For over a century, WS Ponton has combined time-tested industry standards with cutting edge technological advances in direct marketing. Our data shows that for affluent demographics, the medium of the campaign can affect the perceived importance of the offer. The location and profile of your target demographic can help you determine which type of campaign will be most effective. Ultimately, our data shows that for affluent brands reaching wealthy consumers, the mailbox still trumps the inbox.